Sunday, 26 August 2012

Sep 2012: Is devotional music moving to history?

There is a Planet M store in Brigade Road Bangalore where I went scouting for Devotional Music. They had a section on devotional music and I used to visit it often.

Last month I was in for a surprise. The entire devotional section had almost closed down. There were hardly any collections.

I found that to be a disturbing trend.

Is the world going towards pop and jazz and rock?
What about traditional music?
The traditional music (also known as Shastreeya Sangeet) is rare and costly.
Are we are being deprived of our right to listen to good music?
Or is such music considered mundane by the tech savvy generation?
Do we take devotional music for granted?

Is personality becoming more important than character?
Could reducing the costs of music to reasonable amount bring more takers?
Would that prevent piracy as well?

No comments:

Post a Comment